Sunday, July 25, 2010

Double the Trouble


My uncle is getting a new house. This is not the uncle who bought a house earlier this year and I attended their awesome house-warming party, it is the uncle that many people in the family regard as a loser. I am saying this to make any point, it is just that he has been a loser all his life. The funny thing is he doesn't seem to get it that people view him this way.

He bought a new house nearby the school where my kids are going to. This is where the problem will be. My uncle's twins, who are only five years old, are right now attending a school next to their current home. They have been naughty and have made themselves a bad reputation for disobedience and having a lack of child development. The school's teachers complained to my sister once when she accidentally went there in search of Gramps who she thought was going to be there. That is beside the point. Anyway, the children are notoriously bad at listening and bad at getting along with their classmates, so how are they going to fit into the new school. The problem will become our problem when they enter there and we, K and I, will have to deal with it. Gramps who is the primary caretaker of them doesn't speak English, and the parents themselves, who are supposedly the protectors and carers, won't be around because their work's interference, or so they say. This would only mean we will have to step in and help, which I can only detect as the problematic life ahead.

The number one issue that I think we will face is the lack of development of the twins. They, despite their age of five, still haven't mastered the speaking and listening ability. They can only draw some short words when they try to speak. Not even a simple sentence like I want that, which is over compelling to them. Listening is something I notice as improving. I spoke to them when they came here and they seemed ok when they listened. However, when I tried to call them by their names, they couldn't even comprehend it. They avoided me when I told them no when they asked me some question. How will the teachers think of this? Only time will tell, I suppose.

The other problem is that now my responsibilty will double from two to four children. I will not only try to my kids to school on time, something I am failing at, I will also have to get the twins to school punctually as well. The teachers will deal with my sister when issues arise, which my sister won't be happy about. Teacher and parents conferences will double. Basically, we are just getting more work load and we can't do anything about it because we are family. Sucks but that is life.

So my life in the foreseeable future is one that I won't stand. Already packed and maybe overloaded, I am about to double whatever else. It's going to be exciting and that is for sure. I will hate it.

No comments: